Monday, September 26, 2011

Flat Rock 50K Trail Ultra - Taking on "The Rock"

Flat Rock 50K - Sep 24th 2011

So I first saw the Flatrock 50K in 2008, the same year I ran my first full length marathon and have wanted to do this race ever since.  Due to other commitments and various roadblocks, 2011 was the first year I was able to make it happen...  Personally I think it was because some higher power was looking out for me, knowing that I would need the extra three years of marathon/ultramarathon experience before taking this beast head on.

I little background:  I have run on this trail before.  I was not racing, not hurrying to try and beat any clock.  Back in March, I ran the majority of the race course solo... walking and taking in the beautiful scenery along the way.  This was as a training run for the Free State 100K in April (which I still have yet to write a race report on).  I was sore the next day, but like I said, I was just putting around and took most of the day to do it.


Looking at the results from last years race, I set my goal at 6:30 - figuring that should put me in the top 20 finishers overall in the 50K.  A little over 12 minute miles should be doable if the trail was in decent shape I figured.  I have been training hard all of 2011, with this really being the race that would finish off the year for me (I might do one more... maybe).  Since the end of April I ran the Free State 100K, Tail Twister 50K, Patriot Marathon, and Flat Rock 50K.  So it has been a productive year as far as I am concerned.

Mass Chaos.

So before I give a race report, I have to give the pre-race report.  My coworker Jerime began running with me in July or August and I think I infected him with long distance runners disease.  He trained very hard and got himself ready to take on "The Rock" and signed up for the 25K.  Our plan was to meet at his house at 5:30 am and head to Independence in time for the 50K race start at 7:30.  Indy is about an hour and a half away (that even gives a bit of a buffer).  Waking from a crazy dream at 5:29 am, I was glad I packed my bag and set out my clothes the night before.  Knowing I am ALWAYS on time, Jerime sent me a text at 5:30am on the dot, to which I replied, "shit".  I raced to his house, completely blowing my race morning routine all the HELL.  No coffee, no instant oatmeal, no big a.m. dump.  I grab Jerime and we head out, about 30 minutes later than we had planned.  Not too big of a deal... until we stop at the truck stop 10 minutes from Jerime's house and my car won't start.  Luckily, on the third attempt, the battery found just enough juice to crank the pistons making the engine roar to life.  Taking the prudent course, we RACE back to Jerimes and grab his car, swap gear and speed off toward Indy.  It is now 6:25 am, my race starts in one hour and five minutes - and we have a one hour and fifteen minute drive!  We somehow manage to make it (alive) with about 4 minutes to spare.  We rushed to pick up my packet and timing chip, and Jerime dropped me off at the start line 20 SECONDS before the starting pistol sounded.  Luckily for Jerime, the 25K didn't start until 8:30am, so he had plenty of time to stretch and actually prepare to race.

And they're off! 

And so the race begins... I have no gels, electrolyte tabs, or even water.  It was all in the car... I knew there would be an aid station at about 4 miles in, so I wasn't too worried.  I figured they would have some gels, and I knew they would have water.  The first part of the race is up a hill on the road before you get to the actual trail.  I have run enough single track trail races to know that getting behind the walkers SUCKS... Nothing against walker/hikers, but it is hard to safely get around them.  I can run a 20 minute 5K, so I figured if it took a 6 minute mile pace to get close to the front, that is what I would do.  I shot up the hill and took off like a middle-aged, slightly overweight cheetah and got up in line with some like-minded runners.  This strategy worked great, I was really only passed by about three people on the course, and passed 3 or 4 people myself.

Just after the first aid station, I noticed my left foot was sliding a bit in my shoe, so to help prevent any blisters, I decided to pull off at a wider section of trail and tighten both shoes.  Of course, staying true to the Murphy's Lawishness of the day, less than a tenth of a mile after tying my shoe I roll my left ankle on a rock.  It was bad enough that I had to walk for a minute or so before jogging with a significant limp, reminiscent of a Hollywood pimp.  This caused my right hip to burn due to overcompensating (I guess), so early in this race it seemed as if my goal of 6:30 was out of the question, and that simply finishing may be nearly impossible.  Somewhere about mile 9, I lightly rolled my right ankle!  F#^$*%*g S##T!  Strangely enough, it was actually a bit of a blessing - it is hard to limp with 2 bum ankles, so my hip quit hurting... and eventually my ankles were so stiff and numb, that I was relatively pain free (bearable).  I fell down once hard after the second aid station, but the little burst of adrenaline sparked from falling actually sped me up a little, and I got nothing but a bump or two out of it.  The section between 11.5 - 13.5 miles is very hard.  An area that has an acutal waterfall during the rainy times is covered in huge rocky, uneven trails tilted sideways on the side of a hill.  This section nearly had me crying and cursing... ok I admit it... I was cussing at rocks and other inanimate objects - no crying though.  I fell again trying to go too fast down what looked like a fairly smooth trail, and did a splat right on my chest.  The landing knocked the wind out of me, and had me cussing even more.  At this point, I was starting to hate rocks, and my prayers were answered with a stretch of easier soft dirt, not to say there weren't rocks all over ready to pull your feet out from under you.

It was nice to get a break from the rocks, and it was a psychological boost to know that I was almost at the turnaround.  Then... a swift kick right to the - well you get the idea-  when I followed another runner past a couple blue flags that indicated a turn.  You got it, bonus miles!  CRAP!  We went all the way to Hwy 160 and realized this was not on the course.  I was just following the little access road, and the runner in front of me.  After doubling back, getting back on the trail, and making my way to the turn around, I got several strange looks from runners I had passed, who knew that they had not passed me.  I figure I went at least a half mile out of the way, probably costing me at least 8-10 minutes.  I hit the aid station turn around and surprisingly was only at about 2:50 minutes, my goal still within reach, maybe, I know how hard the second half of this course is.

So after losing my short sleeve Under Armor at the drop off, I felt much cooler and really caught a second wind.  I felt great until I hit about 20 miles, when not having gels finally caught up with me.  I had been trying to eat something at every aid station, but there was too big of a gap after the turn around and the next.  There was an unmanned water spot in between, but one station in 10 miles with food was not enough for me and I bonked. Hard.  My legs felt like cinder blocks and I had trouble maintaining 14 minute pace.  I finally struggled to the next aid station and stayed for awhile, eating oranges, M&Ms, nuts, and potatoes.  I drank coke and ginger ale.  This decision took me 4-6 minutes, but probably saved my race. I narfed down as much food as I thought I could without barfing my guts up, and headed back out.  Within minutes I felt some life come back into my legs and got going again... I sped up pretty good.  Sometimes hitting 9-10 min/mile pace in sections.  Then, it happened again.  Foot caught up on a rock, and I went down hard.  Forearm smashes against a huge rock, left quad into another, left thumb bent back.  My face was 2 inches from a jagged rock - teeth literally inches away from destruction.  On the upside, my ankles were not nearly as painful once I got moving again, at least not that I noticed.

I slowed myself some after this watching my step so close, honestly, I was getting gun shy.  I felt like if I fell again, I wouldn't be able to get back up.  I stumbled again several times but managed not to fall.  Normally during a race, I talk to a lot of people.  But this entire run, over 6 hours, I ran less than an hour with anyone else.  Other than aid stations, and a few folks going the other way, I didn't talk to anyone except a PFC from Fort Riley who was a combat engineer.  We ran together for 15 minutes or so, until falling back to tie his shoes.  When I heard the heavy metal coming from the final aid station, I knew I was only 4 miles from the finish... and anyone who has run this course knows that these are some of the hardest mile, even on fresh legs.  I look at my Garmin and realize that I can still meet my goal.

The Finish

Four miles to finish and knew what I needed to do to beat my goal, it meant a steady, decent pace with no walking other than up major hills.  This section is very steep ups and downs and is very rocky.  I figured for sure that I was going to fall again, I just hoped my skin, muscles, and bones would break my fall.  The adrenaline was kicking again and I could hear train whistles and horns that indicated the finish... and then I was running away from it again!  This course is tricky and full of twists and turns.  At the end, it actually makes you run away from the finish before going back to the road for the half mile of pavement sprint to the finish.  I hit the pavement and kicked into high gear, or what was left of it, and managed an 8-8:30 pace to the finish.  I have taken enough TERRIBLE finish line photos, that I know what to do now to get a good one.  I threw on my game face, hid the pain, and made it look like I had just finished a walk in the woods.  There was a fake severed arm hanging from the finish chute so I grabbed it and gave it a good firm handshake, as if it were congratulating me on a strong finish. Jerime was there at the finish cheering me on as well, which was awesome.  I met both of my goals: I finished in 6:22 even with bonus mileage at the turnaround, and placed 19th overall.  It was nice, after all the events of the day to finally be able to sit down and relax.  I got my picture with Eric Steele at the finish and sat for the first time in over 6 and a half hours.  It was a great feeling after a great race on a great course.

Recovery

I am sore.  I am bruised.  I am also extremely satisfied.  Super hard and super fun is the easiest way to describe this race.  Next year I plan on making a weekend out of it, camping and partying Friday night, racing Saturday, and hanging out Saturday night.  If you want to have one of the most rewarding challenges of your life, sign up, and take on "The Rock"... you won't regret it..much.  ;-)
 

 

No comments: