Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Marathon Training Day 1 - Nov 25th - 3 miles

So back in August I decided that I was going to run a full marathon. Up to now, the farthest I have run in a single session was about 13.5 miles. I found a website to the Olathe Kansas Marathon, and decided to give it a go. Yesterday was the first day, but it was a rest day... lol. I used it to get stoked about the next 18 weeks of long miles before the race. Today was the first run day, starting off with an easy 3 mile run. The mileage builds up week to week and tapers before the race. The plan is here, if you want to check it out. Here is what I wrote this morning on my fitness tracker:

5:40 am - First day of 18 week marathon training. I have been injured last 2 weeks, I hope I can shake the sore hip. we will see

Post Run 6:28 am - It felt very very very very good to be out running again this morning! It was a chilly 32 degrees no wind. I ran nice and easy since it was the first time I have run in the better part of 2 weeks. I feel awesome. I have been in a real sour mood since I have been out of commission, lack of my morning dose of endorphins I suppose. Hip felt great... but I did feel it some, hopefully this wont be a problem.

So the story on the hip was this, about 3 weeks ago, I decided I was going to ramp up my daily distance, to get ready for this marathon. I went too hard with too little rest and ended up over stressing my right hip flexor (I think, no Dr. involved). Long story short, I had to take about 2 weeks off. Boy was I in a foul ass mood the entire time. Guess I had endorphin withdrawls. I feel pretty good today.

No comments: