Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Monday, August 25, 2008 - Jackson County Triathlon Results

Monday, August 25, 2008

Well I survived my first competitive sprint distance triathlon. 1/3 mile swim, 11 3/4 mile bike followed by 3 mile run. Whew! That was the most challenging fun that I have ever had. Max and I left for my dad's house around 1 pm, and got there about 3. Dad and I went over to the lake, checked in and got my race bag, checked out the beach, and finally drove the bike course. First thing I noticed was how many more hills there were. Big ones. I usually ride mostly flat, so I knew this was gonna be a challenge. We went back to dad's house, went for a short bike ride, ate spaghetti and went to bed. I didn't ever really get to sleep (it felt like) and got up 15 minutes before my alarm (3:45 am). I ate a couple bananas and granola bars and had 2 cups of hot coffee. I hit the road and made it to the lake about 5:00 am. I got all checked in, body marked, picked up my timing chip, set up my bike and then.... hurry up and wait. My heat didn't hit the water until 8:05. I streched, hydrated, pee..... repeat. Dad and Max showed up about 7:45 and just in time to talk to me at the staging area for the swim, it was cool having Max cheer me on, since it is usually the other way around.

Before I get into the race itself, I gotta give my overall impression of the event (my first obviously). First, there were a TON of people. Counting all the athletes, spectators, event staff, it seemed like thousands... A sea of cars in the parking lot, and half mile lines to the porta johns. It was awesome. Second, the other competitors were all cool as can be. I talked to lots of them between 5 and 8, and all of there stories were different, and all as nice as could be. Another thing, there was everything from elite athletes with thousands of dollars worth of gear all the way to guys like me on a shoestring budget. The youngest kid I saw racing was 13 and the oldest had to be mid sixties. One guy was on a mountain bike with a baby seat mounted to the back(no baby). It was a really cool experience, I am very glad I participated. Thanks again to my dad for sponsoring me and putting me up for the night. Big thanks to Max for going with me even though he had to get up WAY early. And Jodi for being cool with me taking off for most of the weekend leaving here with Mitch and Molly. Here were the results that the posted on the race website:
Overall, I am pretty darn happy with the outcome, my goal was 1:18:30, but why set a goal you know you can achieve? Gotta push it....

Summary
Number of Finishers ...... 447
Number of Females .......163
Number of Males............284
Average Time..................1:31:17

My Stats
Bib Number : 401
Overall Place: 129 out of 447
Division Place(30 - 34 Male): 19 out of 41
Gender Place (M) : 103 out of 284
Complete Time: 1:22:10
Swim: 15:15
Tran1: 1:23
Bike: 40:49
Tran2: 1:00
Run: 23:43

No comments: