Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Marathon Training Log - December 10th - Day 10 - 4 miles

I got up this morning about 5:15 expecting to see snow, ice or both on the roads. After a cup of hot coffee, I got dressed and headed out. 23 degrees and a nice stiff wind was going to make for an interesting morning. I am starting to notice that I am writing the same thing day after day so today I am going to change it up a bit by detailing my extreme cold weather running wardrobe.

I start with the spandex compression shorts and a tight t-shirt. Next I put on my running pants. These are no ordinary pants. These pants are made of fleece I think, but they are so warm that you can only wear them when it is cold as it gets, else you will sweat. Actually you will sweat no matter when you wear these bad boys. They are loose fitting blue fleece, with elastic drawstring waist, zippered front pockets, and elastic, zippered ankles. These pants are Perfect for winter running. Then I put on a sweat shirt (no hood). Over this, I pull over my fleece. It has a high neck that zips, and a big pouch on the front. For the hands, I go with a pair of small knit gloves that fit skintight and cover these with a larger pair of fleece gloves. Last, but most important, the head... This is the key to surviving the uber-cold winter morning. I start with, you guessed it, fleece balaclava. This is basically a full head hood with just the face cut out. This is crucial since so much of your head leaves via the dome. Finally, and fittingly, a fleece "buff" (like on the show Survivor) with a little mouth hole cut out. Actually it was a fleece hat, I just cut the top seam making it an open tube, then cut a hole to breath out of. Then I pull this over the balaclava, around my nose and mouth with the breathing hole lined up. When all is said and done, all you can see is my eyes and a little slit to breath from.

Oh I almost forgot, a pair of warm socks and your best running shoes top things off... can't forget the shoes... I prefer New Balance. Not sure what the model I have is called, but it is the 3rd pair I have had. I bought 2 last time, so I am all set.

And about the run, it was cold (as I already explained) but good. There was a little icy stuff around, but nothing treacherous. Today was a 4 miler, and I finished in 35:29. My hip still hurts some, but I have basically decided just to ignore it. I know, not that smart, but oh well.

No comments: