Monday, December 22, 2008

Marathon Training Log - December 19th - Day 15 - 10 miles.

This Saturday run was the longest so far, and also the most challenging. To begin with, my hip felt better today than it has since I started this program, that is before AND after the run. I went out in the country like usual, down south to gooding rd, but this time turned right and went to the first mile section before turning around. Ten miles exactly from start to finish (according to MS Streets and Trips anyway). When I left the house it was about 9:15 or so, and was about 45 degrees with very light wind. By the time I finished, it was 30 and a 10 mph wind was blowing out of the north. The last 3 miles into the wind were brutal. A mile south of the cemetary there is an uphill strecth about half a mile where there are no trees on either side of the road and the wind almost killed me. I could feel it cutting thru all my clothes, and was sucking all the air out of my lungs. I took my big glove off and held it over my mouth. This was at about the six mile point, and my strategy is to walk for about 30 seconds every 6 miles and drink half a bottle of water or so. I walked and drank and tried to catch my breath. Luckily I wasnt to far from where the trees picked but up, so I recovered and finished strong. My legs felt great for just finishing a ten miler, and my time was under my 9 min mile goal. I finished in 1:26:42. I recovered faster that I would have expected, it is now Monday morning and I am not sore at all. Here is the summary from 11/25 to current:

Total Average
Duration (hh:mm:ss) 9:16:47 0:37:07
Distance miles 65.15 4.34
Average Speed mph
7.02
Pace min/mi
8.59
Calories (kcal) 8800 586

No comments: