Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Marathon Training Log - February 3rd - Day 40 - 4 miles

Today was the first run of week 11 of my training program. Nothing special about today's run. It is still cold outside, it is still dark at 5:30. One thing I noticed was that there are only 54 more days until the Olathe Marathon. Man, I am starting to get really stoked about this... I can't imagine the feeling on race day! I am really doing some long runs, and only getting stronger. Today's 4 miler is so easy it has become almost trivial... I almost feel like I am cheating myself. But, like the program says, not too fast on Tuesday, after a long run on Saturday it is meant as a way to loosen up for tomorrow's 8 mile. But damn it felt good today! 4 miles, in 32 min or so... a nice easy pace not too slow, not too fast.

Another random thought; I need new shoes. The shoes I am wearing now have about 300 miles on them. Also, doing some further research, the shoes that I prefer are probably not the best for long distance training. I like New Balance 790 cause they are light and comfortable, but they are intended for shorter distance trail type running. I am looking into a "Motion Control" shoe. Heavier, but preferred by distance runners, these shoes are best qualified for my feet, size, and running style. I used I guess it is time to go shoe shopping. No new aches or pains, but I don't want any due to old shoes.

After crossing the finish line this morning (my driveway) I slowed to a walk like I always do. I felt a huge rush of blood pulsing through my entire body, my skin immediately became much warmer, and it was about 30 seconds of this awesome radiant feeling. I get this after every run, but today I decided to put it into words to help explain to non-runners. People always tell me I am crazy to go out in this weather to punish myself running. It is a reward not a punishment. A natural high that has WAY more positive side effects than negative ones. In the last 5-6 years, running has helped me quit smoking, drinking, lose weight, get stronger and furnish me with more self confidence than one person deserves. It also helped give me the energy to survive the last year of my wife dealing with breast cancer and everything that comes with it; Surgery, chemotherapy, radiation, etc... I am fully hooked on this 'runners high' as they call it. If I could make people feel the same with only words, I know the streets would be a lot more crowded at 6 am than they are now. If you want to try it, do it. Suffer through the first month, and I promise you change from going to sleep dreading the alarm to waking up before it with your running shoes by the bed.

Until next time...

No comments: