Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Marathon Training Log - January 7th - Day 25 - 6 miles

I am kind of experimenting with tape, wraps, and braces to see if they help minimize the impact on the joints. I would really hate to stop or slow training due to a painful knee or ankle. The first time I taped, I taped too tight and had to stop and remove the tape. oops, lol. Then today I tried a wrap on my right knee, it doesn't hurt but starts to ache. I wrapped the ace bandage a bit too tight, and had to unwrap and rewrap more loosely. That seemed to help, but now, after my run I have like a sore muscle feeling in the back of my leg. I also taped my feet this morning (no ankle) and that really seemed to help the strain on my ligaments and tendons in the feet. I am considering buying a neoprene knee brace to see if it makes a difference, assuming it is fairly cheap. I may try the same with an soft foot/ankle brace instead of tape.

Today's run was good (aside from dinking around with the wrap) and the weather was favorable. No ice on the ground, no wind, cold but not frigid. For a six miler at 5:30 am, I decided to stay in town and basically ran every north to south road in town. I like that route, and it is better lit than the county roads that I run on the weekend. My lungs feel great and my legs are growing stronger with each mile. Finished my 6 miles in about 53 minutes. I screwed up again and forgot to start the watch. Oops.

Like I mentioned, I am experimenting with bracing my feet and knees, but it is mostly just preemptive. I am really enjoying the training, and am looking forward to the race. I am also getting more serious about my diet, I ate really well yesterday. I have a problem with cake. I can't pass it up... It is like crack to me. I took the kids to a cousin's bday party and it was fully stocked with chocolate cake. I ate not one, but 4 (small) peices. I couldn't help myself. Good news, I was still under 2500 calories for the day.

Until next time...

No comments: